Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Once Upon a Time There Was Another Challenge

I probably shouldn't do this (don't I always say that?). But I regretted missing out on the Once Upon a Time Challenge last time around, so I just can't pass it up this time.

Hosted by Stainless Steel Droppings, the challenge runs through June 20th, which seems like ages from now. But I'm still going to be cautious (first time and all that), and choose the "Journey" option, which means I'll only be committing to (at least) one book.

It took me quite a while to make up my mind, but I've finally settled on Over Sea, Under Stone, by Susan Cooper. I've been trying to find a reason to read it for the longest time, so that feels like a good choice. But I'll hope to add more titles later on.

**UPDATE**

Well, I've finished Over Sea, Under Stone. Picked it up to "look it over," and ended up reading straight through. Loved it. Will get a review up in a day or two [See Review].

And since I've always enjoyed reading fantasy so much, I think I'm going to go ahead and embark on one of the Quests. I'm not sure I'll have time to read A Midsummer Night's Dream in June, and I'm not very good at separating books into genres, so I guess I'll choose Quest the First and read five books from a mix of the categories (but mostly fantasy). Haven't nailed it down completely yet, but this is my list of possible titles:

A Wizard of Earthsea, by Ursula LeGuin
A Wrinkle in Time, by Madeleine L'Engle (or is this too sci-fi?)
The Book of Three, by Lloyd Alexander
The Book of Lost Things, by John Connolly
Bridge to Terabithia, by Katherine Paterson
The Dark Is Rising, by Susan Cooper (might as well continue with the series)
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, by J.K. Rowling [See Review]
Inkheart, by Cornelia Funke (looks good, but it's such a BIG book!)
The King Must Die, by Mary Renault
The Mennyms, by Sylvia Waugh
The Thief of Always, by Clive Barker

Now if I can just narrow it down to five, I'm ready for the quest.

To see all the links to reviews by Challenge participants, go here.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you are taking the plunge and joining us. It is truly a fun journey to go on together. I look forward to your review of the book and any others you might manage to fit in before the end of June.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.