Wednesday, December 25, 2019

What's In a Name 2020 Reading Challenge


Dates: January 1 - December 31, 2020



It's been a couple of years since I last participated in the What's in a Name Challenge. But I always enjoyed it, even though I didn't always manage to complete all the categories. (I think I enjoy making the lists of possible reads almost as much as doing the actual reading.)

So I'm signing up for the 2020 challenge. Basically, participants read books with titles that fit the requirements of six categories. I haven't made any firm decisions about what I'll read for each category, but I've got a few ideas:

Category 1: An ampersand – & (ex. Blanca & Roja, Rot & Ruin)
Arthur & George. Julian Barnes
Bellman & Black. Diane Setterfield
Daisy Jones & The Six. Taylor Jenkins Reid  
Category 2: An antonym (ex. Big Little Lies, Wicked Saints)
The Life and Death of Mary Wollstonecraft. Claire Tomalin
Night and Day. Virginia Woolf
Old New York (Four Novellas). Edith Wharton
Short Letter, Long Farewell. Peter Handke  
Category 3: 4 letters or less (ex. Feed, Vox)
Dust (Richard Jury #21). Martha Grimes
Hoot. Carl Hiaasen
Ubik. Philip K. Dick
Utz. Bruce Chatwin 
Category 4: A given/first name (ex. Tess of the Road, Flowers for Algernon)
Jane Eyre. Charlotte Brontë
Queen Lucia. E.F. Benson
The Silent World of Nicholas Quinn (Inspector Morse #3). Colin Dexter
What Maisie Knew. Henry James 
Category 5: Reference to children (ex. Baby Proof, Children of Blood and Bone)
The Children. Edith Wharton
The Children’s Book. A.S. Byatt
Wise Children. Angela Carter 
Category 6: One of the 4 natural elements – water, air, fire, earth (ex. The River at Night, The Name of the Wind)
The Book of Air and Shadows. Michael Gruber
Wide Sargasso Sea. Jean Rhys
The Wind in the Willows. Kenneth Grahame
Wolf Lake (Dave Gurney #5). John Verdon 
These are just possibilities, and it'll be interesting to see if I actually end up reading any of them. During the year I'll be tracking my progress and keeping all my lists over on my challenge blog (HERE).

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Well, those are just ideas for what I might read. It's actually just six books in all. Of course, I've done this challenge before and don't think I've ever managed to complete it, so even six might be too many for me!

      Delete
  2. This sounds like a fun challenge! There are so many that appeal to me!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.