Friday, November 27, 2015

Book Beginnings: The Myths That Stole Christmas


The Myths That Stole Christmas, by David Kyle Johnson (Humanist Press, November 2015). Subtitle: Seven Misconceptions That Hijacked the Holiday (and How We Can Take It Back). First lines of the book's Introduction:
What's Wrong with Christmas? 
The fact that you are willing to consider this question at all reveals something because the question is loaded -- it assumes that there is, in fact, something wrong with Christmas. So, if you formulated an answer, instead of objecting to the assumption, you are willing to break one of the harshest social taboos and admit that Christmas isn't perfect. Christmas is not a holiday during which everyone is always happy and nothing is ever wrong.
Initial Thoughts:

One of my Early Reviewer wins from Library Thing; I was intrigued by the idea that someone would actually dare to criticize Christmas in today's cultural climate. Haven't officially started reading this one yet, and I actually have several other books I need to finish before the end of the year. But since we're in the midst of the holiday season now, I thought I might bump this one ahead in the line-up. The subject is decidedly controversial, of course; but I like to think I still have at least a partially open mind in such matters.




Rose City Reader hosts Book Beginnings on Fridays. As she says, the idea is to post the first sentence (or so) of the book you're currently reading, along with any first impressions or thoughts you have about the book, the author, etc.  It's a wonderful way of adding new books to your must-read list, and a chance to connect with other readers and bloggers.


5 comments:

  1. Hi,
    Sound interesting. But I can see the point. Not everyone enjoys the holidays and then again some people go to excess. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds interesting. I'm curious about how the author approaches "what's wrong with Christmas," and I'd keep reading to find out.
    My Friday post features The Mirror.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am definitely curious, too; I can already point out a few flaws of Christmas myself...starting with the expectations some have that the holidays will fix what's wrong in their lives.

    Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the beginning.

    Makes me wonder what will happen.

    Thanks for sharing.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Beginnings

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would be interested in reading this book. I can think of several things that are wrong with Christmas as we know it today. Would be curious if the author and I are on the same page.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.