Host: Bev @ MY READER'S BLOCK
Dates: January 1 to December 31, 2016
For all the info and guidelines, see the announcement/sign-up post HERE.
I'm still dithering over which reading challenges I want to sign up for in 2016, but I already know I want to do this one. I didn't sign up for the 2015 edition. BIG mistake!
I have literally thousands of books on my various to-be-read shelves/piles/lists. You can take a look at some of them over at GoodReads (HERE), or Library Thing (HERE). In 2016, I really want to reduce the mountain at least a teensy bit and I'm hoping this challenge will help keep me on track.
To start off, I'm signing up at the Pike's Peak Level -- 12 books. But if all goes well, I'll be looking to upgrade as the year goes on. I'm not going to commit to an official list of books I'll read, but I have a fairly long unofficial list of possibilities, some of which might be:
- Afternoon Men, by Anthony Powell. I think this is the only one of Powell's novels I've never read.
- Three cozy mysteries by Hazel Holt: Mrs. Malory and a Death in the Family; Mrs. Malory and a Necessary End; Mrs. Malory and the Lilies That Fester. If I get those read, I'll be all caught up with the series. I think.
- Several books I've been trying to read for decades: Jane Eyre, by Charlotte Bronte; Daisy Miller, by Henry James (one of those books I was supposed to read in school but never actually did); The Moonstone, by Wilkie Collins; The Berlin Stories, by Christopher Isherwood.
- A few classic sci-fi novels, including: Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, by Philip K. Dick; Foundation, by Isaac Asimov; and Time and Again, by Clifford D. Simak.
- Silver on the Tree, by Susan Cooper. Last book in Cooper's The Dark Is Rising sequence; I really need to see how the Drew children manage to save the world from all those dark forces.
Have fun with the challenge!ReplyDelete
Thanks! I think it should be fun. Anything that gets me to read the books I already own is definitely a good thing!Delete
You are much better at challenges than moi! I signed up for several this year and while I did ok, most were overlapping so I don't think that was quite fair. Next year there will be one challenge -- only one. I want to finish some series and I have a whole book case full of books that I really want to read before I acquire any more. Oddly, I haven't been able to read anything in the last few weeks. Nothing is holding my interest.ReplyDelete
Well, I usually do OK at reading the books -- but I'm dismal at writing the reviews. I've read about 50 books this year, but only managed to review a dozen or so. Really need to work on that. Yeah, I have many series I'm trying to finish, too -- so I'm thinking 2016 might be The Year of Series Reading for me.Delete