Friday, March 07, 2014

Book Beginnings: The Thief of Always


Don't know how I've managed to miss out on Clive Barker, but The Thief of Always is my introduction to his work.  It was a recommended e-book on Amazon the other day, so I downloaded it to the Kindle and started reading.  Here's the first paragraph:
The great gray beast February had eaten Harvey Swick alive. Here he was, buried in the belly of that smothering month, wondering if he would ever find his way out through the cold coils that lay between here and Easter.

Initial Thoughts:  I started reading this in February, and it just reached out and grabbed me.  I felt exactly the same way young Harvey felt: Will we never see the end of this ridiculously long, cold winter?  "Great gray beast" describes it perfectly.  So I definitely loved the beginning -- and so far, the rest of the book has been pretty enjoyable too. Of course, it's another young adult novel -- I seem to be sort of stuck in the young adult world this year.  But at least I'm reading again. 


http://www.rosecityreader.com/2013/12/book-beginning-sinful-folk-by-ned-hayes.html

Rose City Reader hosts Book Beginnings on Fridays. As she says, the idea is to post the first sentence (or so) of the book you're currently reading, along with any first impressions or thoughts you have about the book, the author, etc.  It's a wonderful way of adding new books to your must-read list, and a chance to connect with other readers and bloggers.

7 comments:

  1. The Thief of Always was my introduction to Barker too. I've read a lot of darker horror since, but I keep coming back to this. I've wanted to read Imajica (another fantasy which I've heard a lot about) since forever, but I'm too intimidated by the size of the book. Thanks for this, your post reminded me of how much I'd loved this, and I guess I'm closer to picking up Imajica now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard of this book, but it sounds interesting. I like the descriptiveness of that sentence. Here is my BB. (New follower :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the prose...I agree that the descriptive "great gray beast" is wonderful. Thanks for sharing...and here's MY FRIDAY POST

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great description of February. It may be the shortest month, but sometimes it feels like the longest! The cover doesn't grab me, but the opening sentences do.
    Here's the link to my Friday post: THE MERMAIDS SINGING.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This year I know how he feels. I have not read this author either. Here is my post: Mixed Book Bag

    ReplyDelete
  6. No, winter is never going to end but, if it does, I am sure we will be thrust into a long, hot summer. Is it possible to be a bah-humbug in March?

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.