Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Teaser Tuesdays: Little Women


This week my teaser lines come from Louisa May Alcott's Little Women.  I'm not actually reading it at the moment, although I've read it several times over the years, since I first discovered it at about age 8 or 9.  I always think of it as a Christmas book (even though it's not) because I received it as a Christmas gift back then.  And, of course, it has that famous opening at Christmastime, with the March sisters gathered together, discussing what they won't be getting for Christmas:
"Christmas won't be Christmas without any presents," grumbled Jo, lying on the rug.

"It's so dreadful to be poor!" sighed Meg, looking down at her old dress.

"I don't think it's fair for some girls to have plenty of pretty things, and other girls nothing at all," added little Amy, with an injured sniff.

 "We've got Father and Mother, and each other," said Beth contentedly from her corner.
I've read that first chapter so many times, I've almost got it memorized. I always admired Jo (Alcott's alter ego), but as a youngster I really wanted to be Amy, the pet and the "star" of the family.  And although I was always sorry for tragic Beth, she was always much too perfect for me -- I would have strangled her long before the fever carried her off (oops -- guess I should have put up a SPOILER alert there!).

The old Whitman edition I had as a child

Teaser Tuesdays is hosted by mizB at Should Be Reading. If you'd like to read more teasers, or take part yourself, just head on over to her blog.

And please feel free to leave me a link to your Teaser Tuesday post in your comment here.

6 comments:

  1. I liked "Little Men" better but in this one, I liked Jo best. I agree with you about Beth.

    Here's ours from two non-fiction books this time: http://www.ourstack.blogspot.com/2012/11/tuesday-teasers-two-non-fiction-books.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I liked Little Men better, too. But for some reason I've read this one many times, and Little Men only once. Might be time to take another look at that one. Thanks for dropping by, and happy reading!

      Delete
  2. I LOVE Little Women...I try to read it at least once a year. I liked Jo best - Beth drove me nuts for exactly the reason you said and Amy just made me angry, especially when she married Laurie, even though I knew that Jo would never marry him.

    My teaser is here

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just last week I downloaded Louisa May Alcott's books to my Kindle. They're on my TBR list.
    My Teaser is from THE SAMURAI'S GARDEN.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read Little Women many times when I was young, and when I reread it a couple of years ago for a challenge, I was amazed at how my memories flowed up and carried me along. I also could quote certain passages, like this beginning.

    I always wanted to be Jo, too; and I didn't like Amy at all. I thought she was too self-absorbed.

    Thanks for sharing. Did you see The March Sisters Christmas on TV?

    Here's MY TUESDAY MEMES POST

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reread this this past summer, and while i still liked it, I thought it "preachier" than remembered. My teaser: Holiday Hideout

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.