Sunday, November 04, 2012

Reading Report: Faith Bass Darling's Last Garage Sale

Written by Lynda Rutledge
G.P. Putnam's Sons / Amy Einhorn Books, 2012
292 pages (ARC)

Description from the publisher:
On the last day of the Millennium, sassy chain-smoking, 70 year old Faith Bass Darling is selling the precious antiques of five generations of Faith's founding family at a garage sale on the lawn of her historic Bass, Texas mansion. Why? God told her to. 

As the townspeople grab up the family's heirlooms—a Civil War dragoon, a wedding ring, a French-relic clock, a family bible, a roll top desk, a n entire room of Tiffany lamps–reveal their own secret roles in the family saga, inspiring life's most imponderable questions: Do our possessions possess us? What are we without our memories? Is there life after death? Or second chances here on earth? And is Faith Darling REALLY selling that 1917 Louis Comfort Tiffany lamp for $1...? 

My Thoughts: 

At first, I was a little disappointed by this book. The story seemed far-fetched and yet, at the same time, formulaic. But as I read on, I found myself becoming more and more drawn into Faith's story -- while she never became really likable, her descent into dementia was a moving and frightening tale. Probably not a book I'd recommend to everyone, but it was well written and a fast read. I'd definitely like to see more by this author.

Rating: 3 marks out of 5

Note: My copy of this book was provided by the publisher, free of charge, through Library Thing's Early Reviewer Program. No other compensation was received, and no one attempted to influence my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.