Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Teaser Tuesdays: Right Ho, Jeeves

This week my teaser lines come from Right Ho, Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse. Published in 1934, this was the second full-length work to feature the inimitable butler; Jeeves was introduced in a series of short stories before the novels began appearing. In this snippet (p.170), Bertie Wooster is reflecting on his valet's unsettling ability to appear as if by magic, just when he's needed:
I hadn't heard the door open, but the man was on the spot once more. My private belief, as I think I have mentioned before, is that Jeeves doesn't have to open doors. He's like one of those birds in India who bung their astral bodies about....He just seems to float from Spot A to Spot B like some form of gas.
This one has been on my TBR list for years now. Can't think why it took me so long to get to it -- it's hilarious, and now it's going on my list of all-time faves.


Teaser Tuesdays is hosted by mizB at Should Be Reading. If you'd like to read more teasers, or take part yourself, just head on over to her blog.

And please feel free to leave me a link to your Teaser Tuesday post in your comment here.

9 comments:

  1. I've always felt that I should have a Jeeves. Great teaser.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, looks great!

    http://carabosseslibrary.blogspot.com/2012/07/teaser-tuesday_10.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've wanted to try these books out myself for some time now, have heard great things about them. I am also teasing a classic novel this week: And Then There Were None.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course, I have heard about Jeeves but I have never read the Wodehouse stories. They will have to go on my "someday" list. My teasers this week are from Kiss the Dead by Laurell K. Hamilton and Before You Go by James Preller. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't gotten to read any P.G. Wodehouse properly, but I have seen a few of the Jeeves and Wooster episodes on YouTube, starring Hugh Laurie as Bertie and Stephen Fry as Jeeves. I quite like them and look forward to reading my first Wodehouse collection in a couple of months -- I'm planning on dedicating a few weeks to reads celebrating England when the fall rolls around. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks good but I haven't read anything by this author yet, I don't think!

    Here's mine:
    http://www.bookmarkyourthoughts.com/2012/07/teaser-tuesday-july-10th-2012.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I listened to one Jeeves book and really loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am going to have to give these books a look -- I think I would enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, great blog! I am a new follower from Teaser Tuesday. I would love a follow back!

    http://endlessdaysofbooks.blogspot.com/

    Candace

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.