Thursday, June 30, 2011

Booking Through Thursday: Size Matters

This week's Booking Through Thursday topic is about personal library size. This could get pretty embarrassing, but here goes:
  1. What’s the largest your personal library has ever been? What’s the greatest number of books you’ve ever owned at one time? (Estimates are fine.)

    I suppose our library is just about as big right now as it's ever been. My husband and I are both book people and acquisitive types, so we don't weed out the collection as often as we should. There are books in every room of our apartment, except for the bathrooms (gotta draw the line someplace), and we've got books in boxes, packed away in a couple of storage rooms. I have no idea exactly how many books we own; I've got over 2000 listed in my Library Thing account, but that doesn't include all my husband's lit crit books, Loeb classical editions, and most of the history books in our library. So, altogether, I'd say we own somewhere between 2500-3000 books.

  2. Is your collection NOW the biggest it’s ever been? Or have you down-sized?

    See answer to the question above. Actually, we are in the process of downsizing; or at least thinking about it. In the past year, we've donated books to our local library and to an annual book sale at my husband's workplace (unfortunately, we keep buying new books to replace the ones we weed out). We have piles of books we really would like to find new homes for, but realize that in reality we'll probably end up simply throwing a lot of them out. (Sob!)

  3. What’s the fewest number of books you’ve ever owned (not counting your pre-reading years)?

    Hmmm. Hard to answer this one. I suppose my book collection was at its tiniest when I was about ten years old, right after my father died. My mother and I moved in with her parents and there just wasn't room for all my toys and books to move with us. I had to choose a few of my most precious possessions to hang onto, and the rest were given away to "less fortunate" kids. At the time, of course, I couldn't imagine any kid less fortunate than I was. But I survived -- and started rebuilding my library very quickly. Occasionally my mother would have one of her clearing-out fits and pressure me to winnow out the books I no longer wanted. The problem with that is that I wanted all of them! It's a problem I'm still living with today. (Hello, my name is Joy and I'm a bookaholic.)

11 comments:

  1. When I went around this morning counting, I was pretty sure that mine would be bigger than it is...but then, that's because every room is lined with shelves, including hallways, bathroom, pantry...but I live in a small space. And I'm Laurel-Rain, a bookaholic.

    Here's MY BTT POST

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try to thin out my collection, but I end up taking them to the used book store and you get higher value for trading them! So, I trade them..and then, well, I have to get more books. It's a vicious circle I tell you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, Joy. I'm Debbie and I'm a bookaholic, too!

    Ubiquitous...that's books for me...Booking Through Thursday: Size Matters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a bookaholic too. I think it's a frequent "ailment" for book bloggers. :-)

    I'm the same way with clearing out books...I seem to replace them just as fast I move them out.

    Here's my full answer: http://myreadersblock.blogspot.com/2011/06/booking-through-thursday-size-matters.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. My collection is just at the beginning stages and growing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. whew! that number makes me feel better. I'm one of those people that doesn't like to keep many things. Mind you this just started a few years ago. Anyway I only have about 100 books not counting the 20 or so I will always keep. I remember what it was like to move those books before and I refuse to do it the next time :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh and that's not counting the books I have at work because I can't possibly bring any more home. I have about 50 in a drawer at work. Oh that's 150...I am Jenny and I am a bookaholic :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha I'm a bookaholic, too! Fortunately, so is my mom so I never had to clean out, just neaten up. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a bookaholic, too, and I figure it's better to be addicted to books than alot of other things we could be addicted too :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bookaholism -- it is genetic -- and we are both afflicted. Apparently so are those clearing out fits -- my mother had them as well only she pretty much kept herself focused on the top of my dresser and the vast number of papers I accumulated for whatever reason. I guess that accounts for our large libraries -- oh, I still have the paper problem -- blame that on genealogy and distrust of computers. Oh well, we have gotten this far and haven't been eaten by our possessions and we don't qualify for some yucky tv reality show so we are ok. Just buy a house with lots of wall space to add more bookcases and go with it -- there are worse things.

    ReplyDelete
  11. throw them out? YOw!!! I'm sure if you put a post on Craig's list for free books, they will be grabbed up immmediately.

    Have a happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.