Sunday, October 12, 2008

The Sunday Salon: Road Trip

I suppose I really shouldn’t burden everyone with a Sunday Salon post today, since I haven’t had much time for reading, and probably won’t. M and I are getting ready to set out tomorrow morning on a three-week trip to Texas, to visit family and friends, and start scouting retirement locales. So my reading today has been confined to various reminder lists:
  • Have mail held. Check
  • Stop newspapers. Check
  • Don’t forget to pack prescriptions. Check
  • Don’t forget to pack undies. Check
  • Stop whimpering. Check
  • No – really stop whimpering. Check

Packing for a three-week trip is always a chore, especially at this time of year when the weather in South Texas can be so changeable. So our apartment is beginning to look like the staging area for a NASA mission to a Mars outpost, and I’m starting to feel a bit like David Bowie’s Major Tom (Don’t forget to pack protein pills and helmet. Check).

I have mixed emotions about the trip. I’m looking forward to seeing everyone – it’s been a couple of years since we visited. And this is the first time in over twenty years that we’ll be “home” for my mother-in-law’s birthday (she’ll be 84 this year), which will definitely be nice.

But we’re driving down, and that makes for a very, very, very long trip. And it involves doing a lot of things I really hate doing – sitting in a car for hours at a time, getting up early, living out of a suitcase and having my daily routine disrupted (yes, I know I shouldn’t be such a creature of habit, but it’s too late to change that now).

Plus, it means not being able to play with my computer all day. Bummer. We’ll have a laptop along, but we’ll be dependent on hotel internet hookups and dial-up service along the way, and that’s not an encouraging prospect. So this could be my last transmission for a while (Major Joy to Ground Control).

On the other hand, I probably will get a lot of reading done on the trip. I’m taking along several books I’m reading for various challenges. I even toyed with the idea of picking up a couple of audiobooks for the drive down and back. But I’m not sure how that would go over with M – he likes to listen to Aerosmith and The Who and Pink Floyd and Rod Stewart on the burn through Tennessee. Turned up loud!

So, I guess for now it’s back to the packing (should I or shouldn’t I take dress-up clothes for the birthday celebration? will we need winter coats for the trip back north? and where the hell did I put that travel steamer?). And the reading of lists with helpful reminders. Next item:

  • When mother-in-law says I look like I've put on a few pounds since the last time she saw me, resist urge to bang head against wall (my head or hers).

7 comments:

  1. I hate being in the car for hours, too. It would be better if I could read, but I'm one of those who can't. :( I think I'll try an audio book on our next long trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Audiobooks are good items to take along for a long car trip. I usually take 3 so that when one disappoints me, I can switch off.

    Now, no head banging for this awesome celebration of living for 84 years. Make sure you laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...mothers-in-law are truly universal...have a safe trip...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you can meander around to the Texas Book Festival in Austin on Nov. 1 and 2!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I hope you have a good and safe trip, even though long ones are tough. You'll be back to your routines soon enough I'm sure, although I'm with you - I'm definitely a creature of habit too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just be safe. That is all that matters. And that includes keeping the head banging to a minimum but I can relate. Anyway, just think, we will be the last leg of your journey and we are SO MUCH FUN! No head banging here -- just be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Couldn't find your email, but wondered if you would be interested in reviewing for me. If so, or you want more details please contact me at novelnoise(at)live(dot)com

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.