Monday, December 12, 2016

2017 Newbery Reading Challenge


Hosted by: Julie @ Smiling Shelves
Dates: January 1 - December 31, 2017


In 2017, Julie (at Smiling Shelves) is once again hosting the Newbery Reading Challenge. I like this challenge a lot, even though I didn't do very well with it this year (only read one book). Hoping to do better next year. Of course, that's what I said last year about this year. Hmmm. I seem to be repeating myself.

Anyway, I'd like to read at least half a dozen books for the challenge, and will be signing up at the first level ("L'Engle"). I don't have a set list of books to read, but I do have quite a few that've been on my TBR list/pile for a number of years decades:

Newbery Winners and Honor Books
  • By the Shores of Silver Lake. Laura Ingalls Wilder 
  • The Cricket in Times Square. George Selden
  • Hitty, Her First Hundred Years. Rachel Field
  • Miss Hickory. Carolyn Sherwin Bailey
  • The Westing Game. Ellen Raskin
  • When You Reach Me. Rebecca Stead
  • The Witches of Worm. Zilpha Keatley Snyder 
Caldecott Winners
  • The Funny Little Woman. Illustrated by Blair Lent; text: retold by Arlene Mosel 
  • Golem. David Wisniewski 
  • The Invention of Hugo Cabret. Brian Selznick 
  • Many Moons. Illustrated by Louis Slobodkin; text: James Thurber 
  • Owl Moon. Illustrated by John Schoenherr; text: Jane Yolen 
  • Sylvester and the Magic Pebble. William Steig 

This year, Julie is allowing Caldecott Honor Books as well as winners, so that gives me a few more books to explore. During the year, I'll be tracking my progress and keeping all my lists over on my challenge blog (HERE).


No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.