Wednesday, February 02, 2011

"Waiting On" Wednesday: Prophecy

Jill at Breaking the Spine, hosts "Waiting On" Wednesday, a weekly event spotlighting those new and future releases that we're looking forward to getting our hands on.

And this week, the book I'm looking forward to is:

Prophecy
Written by S.J. Parris
Doubleday
Expected Release Date: May 3, 2011

Description (from GoodReads):
S. J. Parris returns with the next Giordano Bruno mystery, set inside Queen Elizabeth’s palace and steeped in period atmospherics and the strange workings of the occult.

It is the year of the Great Conjunction, when the two most powerful planets, Jupiter and Saturn, align—an astrologi­cal phenomenon that occurs once every thousand years and heralds the death of one age and the dawn of another. The streets of London are abuzz with predictions of horrific events to come, possibly even the death of Queen Elizabeth.

When several of the queen’s maids of honor are found dead, rumors of black magic abound. Elizabeth calls upon her personal astrologer, John Dee, and Giordano Bruno to solve the crimes. While Dee turns to a mysterious medium claiming knowledge of the murders, Bruno fears that some­thing far more sinister is at work. But even as the climate of fear at the palace intensifies, the queen refuses to believe that the killer could be someone within her own court.

Bruno must play a dangerous game: can he allow the plot to progress far enough to give the queen the proof she needs without putting her, England, or his own life in danger?
************

I read the first of Parris's Giordano Bruno novels, Heresy, last year and really enjoyed it. So I'm very much looking forward to this next adventure.

4 comments:

  1. I still haven't read Heresy, but I didn't know it was part of a series. I'm even more eager to read it now. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly, I still have yet to read Heresy, but it's waiting patiently on my shelf. Maybe knowing there's a 2nd book coming will help encourage me. :)

    You can check out my "Waiting on" Wednesday here

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure this one's for me, but I hope you don't have to wait too long for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Occult?! Elizabeth I?! Count me in! This just went onto my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.