Thursday, December 17, 2009

Booking Through Thursday: Speed

In answer to this week's BTT questions (What do you think of speed reading, and do you do it?): I'll say not much, and yes and no.

I do know how to speed-read. Back in the 1970s when speed-reading was a hot topic, I read one of those early how-to books. Not, I believe, Evelyn Wood; but something along the lines of Teach Yourself to Speed-Read in However Many Lessons. And it worked. I did learn to speed read, and I can still do it when necessary.

But when I look back at the books I read during the two or three years when I was actively using the system - I find that those works are mostly just a blur in my memory. I know I read the books because the titles are there on my lists of "books read" during the period. But I remember very little if anything about almost all of them. Books like Watership Down and A Wrinkle in Time and The Source (among others) - perfectly readable and probably very memorable books. But they're just gone - whoosh! Disappeared!

Bummer.

So I guess I'd have to say that I'm not really a fan of speed reading. It probably does work for some readers (or at least they say it does), but apparently not for me. I have noticed, though, that the more I read, the more rapidly I seem to be able to read. So I think, for me, the best system is to read at my own slower pace, but to just keep reading.

6 comments:

  1. I am not a speed reader, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a fast reader, always have been. Some books read faster than others as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it- just keep reading :-) Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, just keep reading, no matter the speed!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What you say about speed-reading is what I suspected. I also read quickly, but I do not speed read, and often I intentionally slow myself down, especially if I am reading something I want to write about on the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reading fast and speed reading are two different issues.

    Booking through speeding

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.