Monday, December 14, 2009

The Art History Reading Challenge 2010

Found another one. I know, I know - I should really stop looking! But for a while there, several centuries ago, I was headed for grad school in art history (alas, never to be). So this is a subject that's dear to my heart.

The 2010 edition of the Art History Reading Challenge is being hosted by Nomadreader, and runs throughout 2010 (1 January to 31 December). You can sign up and read all about the challenge over on the announcement page, but basically the idea is just to read art-related books (either fiction or non-). There are four different levels of participation; I'm going to be very conservative and opt for Level Two ("Fascinated") - so I'll be reading at least six books, but I hope to do much better than that. Listing your books ahead of time isn't a requirement, but I've got a few that I'm thinking about:
  • The Forgery of Venus, by Michael Gruber
  • Lydia Cassatt Reading the Morning Paper, by Harriet Scott Chessman
  • Seek My Face, by John Updike
  • Stealing Athena, by Karen Essex
Plus two more. Of course, my list may change and (I hope) expand as time goes on its flight. I've got a much longer list of titles to choose from, over on my challenge blog; and I'll be updating my progress there, during the year.

2 comments:

  1. Lydia Cassatt was wonderful. Definitely add it to your list!
    Have you heard of The Forest Lover? I reviewed it here. I love reading about semi-obscure women painters, and I think you'd like it.
    Good luck in the challenge -

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.