Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Tuesday Thingers: Vacation Time

This week's Tuesday Thingers topic is about vacation plans and reading. Good questions. But how did it get to be the 8th of July all of a sudden? The summer is zipping right along, isn't it?

But I digress (as usual). The questions:

Since we're past the Fourth of July and the summer season has officially started, what are your plans for the summer? Vacations, trips? Trips that involve reading? Reading plans? If you're going somewhere, do you do any reading to prepare? Do you read local literature as part of your trip? Have you thought about using the LT Local feature to help plan your book-buying? (by Marie at Boston Bibliophile)
We don't really have any terribly interesting vacation plans this summer, I'm afraid. And one of our trips is over now – we spent a few days in Shenandoah National Park, over the July 4th holiday weekend. No camping out (I'm not much of a camper – well, actually I'm not any of a camper) – stayed in one of the cabins. Did a lot of hiking and critter-watching. But we had quite a lot of rain, so there was lots of time to just sit and read, too. My favorite kind of vacation! I guess you could say I'm not a thrill seeker.

The only other trip we have planned doesn't happen until the end of August – we'll be heading back to Rehoboth Beach, Delaware for our annual week at the beach. We're nothing if not habitual. I won't be doing any reading to prepare for the trip, but of course I'll be taking along a few beach reads (haven't decided what they'll be yet). If we were heading for someplace I'd never visited before, I probably would do some preparatory reading. And if we spend a bit of time somewhere, I might read local literature about or from the place – but probably not if it's just a short visit.

I have to admit I haven't even looked at LT Local – didn't really even know it was there. But now that it's been pointed out to me, I'll have to give it a look.

Here's a shot from our trip to Shenandoah, taken from the deck of our cabin in the clouds.


6 comments:

  1. My LT Local is set in Boston for some reason. So I always know what's going on there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to have an annual week at the beach. Darn midwest! But we are going next summer. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The summer is zipping right along, isn't it?

    Since The Kool-Aid Kids are out of school, it can zip a little faster! half days of Summer school for one and home for the other is jangling my nerves. It'd have to be the two that fight that's home from dad's at the same time!

    I'd love to see Shenandoah Valley. My mom sang all of us the song as a lullaby when we were babies, and I'd love to see the place that inspired it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, gorgeous photo! LT Local is only useful if you're in a place that actually has events. As of right now, I'm unfortunately not. It's pretty cool when you are though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shenandoah looks beautiful :)

    We're yearly beach people too! Sometimes a week just seems too short for our trip though. But I hope to get lots of reading done there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Summer zipping right along? Yes, at least in the retail world. A month ago Hobby Lobby was putting out their Christmas decorations and I got an ad last week from Toys R Us (don't ask) announcing their Back to School specials. It made our Bri want to cry!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.