Friday, July 26, 2019

Book Beginnings: Lady in the Lake


Lady in the Lake, by Laura Lippman (William Morrow, July 2019). This is the book's first sentence:
I saw you once.

About the Book:
Lady in the Lake is "a novel set in 1960s Baltimore that combines modern psychological insights with elements of classic noir, about a middle-aged housewife turned aspiring reporter who pursues the murder of a forgotten young woman."

Initial Thoughts:

Well, that's short and sweet, right? Peek-a-boo! Right away I'm wondering who saw who, especially since this opening section is printed in italics. Who's talking here? And who's getting looked at?

Actually, my first thought about this book was that it might have something to do with Raymond Chandler's classic Philip Marlowe novel with the same title (The Lady in the Lake, first published 1943). Since I'm just starting this new one, I haven't answered that question yet.

This will be my first Laura Lippman book, but I've got several of her earlier works on my "want to read" list. So far, this one is definitely holding my interest, and as soon as I get back from the super market run today, I'll get stuck back into it.

Happy Friday and happy reading, everyone! And have a lovely weekend.



Rose City Reader hosts Book Beginnings on Friday.  As she says, the idea is to post the first sentence (or so) of the book you're currently reading, along with any first impressions or thoughts you have about the book, the author, etc.  It's a wonderful way of adding new books to your must-read list, and a chance to connect with other readers and bloggers.


1 comment:

  1. Lady in the Lake does sound intriguing! Hope it continues to hold your interest and entertain :)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.