Thursday, April 07, 2016

Booking Through Thursday: List

Wow, it's been QUITE a while since I checked in on Booking Through Thursday. I actually thought it had been discontinued, but for some reason it just wasn't showing up in my list of blogs to read. One of those instances of Blogger moving in mysterious ways, I guess.

Anyhoo.... Today's question is definitely a good one:
Do you keep a list of the books you’ve read? Books you want to read?
I was immediately intrigued -- mainly because that's actually the whole reason I got into book blogging in the first place, lo these many years ago. I thought of the blog as a sort of online book list and hoped it would help me keep track of the books I read -- and also help me remember what I thought about them. And to some extent, it's done that. (I suppose it would function a little more efficiently if I actually remembered to post reviews now and then. Hmmm?)

But I've always been an enthusiastic list-maker. So even before the internet and book blogging entered my life, I kept lists of books-read and books-to-read. I think I probably made my first book list right after I learned to write.

At the moment, I have several public lists -- the main ones at GoodReads and LibraryThing -- and a bunch of private lists filling up notebooks and private web pages. Yes, I know all that list-making steals time away from actual reading. But I'm too old to change my ways now.

Most recently, I've been struggling to come up with some way of keeping an efficient list of all the ARCs I need to read -- I keep losing track of publication dates and the order in which books should be read. So far, I haven't really found a satisfactory method of keeping track -- I'd appreciate any good suggestions.

Love this question, and I'll be interested to see how others respond to it.

1 comment:

  1. My pockets are filled with scraps of paper that have little lists of books on them. These bits of paper almost always get lost, and I remake them when I happen to think of the books again. Usually there's a theme, like "Books to get at library", or "Books for American lit series".

    I didn't used to, but I started about five years ago when I realized it would make my annual mulling-over-books-read practice easier. Rather than creating a list at the end of the year based solely on the reviews I posted, and my patchy memory, now I update the list as I read it and can maintain some idea of what genres I'm reading a little too much of, that sort of thing.

    I'm on Goodreads, too, of course.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.