Friday, November 28, 2014

Book Beginnings: Another Side of Bob Dylan


For this week's Book Beginnings on Friday I'm looking at Another Side of Bob Dylan, by Victor Maymudes and Jacob Maymudes, published in September by St. Martin's Press. These are the opening lines of Chapter 1:
Altogether my father recorded twenty-four hours of audio chronicling his relationship with Bob Dylan, Dennis Hopper, Joan Baez, Ramblin' Jack Elliott, Wavy Gravy, David Crosby, Tom Petty, the rest of the Traveling Wilburys and a few others who made up his inner circle of friends.
Initial Thoughts:

That's quite a list of friends! Victor Maymudes was Bob Dylan's tour manager for many years, and also a close friend and confidante. He tape recorded his memories of those times for this book, but died suddenly before he could get the book written. His son Jacob stepped in to finish his father's work. I was attracted to the book as soon as I heard about it. I'm certainly not a "Dylanologist" and haven't really kept up with the man or his music in recent years. But when I was a teenager back in the '60s I was a huge fan, and still find the whole Dylan phenomenon pretty fascinating. Looking forward to reading an "insider's" report.



Rose City Reader hosts Book Beginnings on Fridays. As she says, the idea is to post the first sentence (or so) of the book you're currently reading, along with any first impressions or thoughts you have about the book, the author, etc.  It's a wonderful way of adding new books to your must-read list, and a chance to connect with other readers and bloggers.

2 comments:

  1. I like Bob Dylan. I am sure the book will be good.

    Thanks for sharing.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Beginnings

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.