Tuesday, September 01, 2015

Teaser Tuesdays: Ramona Quimby, Age 8


I've always loved children's books (even when I was a child -- how fortunate is that?), and this year I'm making an effort to read more of the Newbery Medal winners and honor books. Ramona Quimby, Age 8 is the 6th book in Beverly Cleary's Ramona series, and a 1982 Newbery Honor book. This snippet comes from page 106, about midway through:
Ramona was crying too hard to answer. Nobody, nobody in the whole world, was a bigger nuisance than someone who threw up in school. Until now she thought Mrs. Whaley had been unfair when she called her a nuisance, but now -- there was no escaping the truth -- she really was a nuisance, a horrible runny-nosed nuisance with nothing to blow her nose on.
I really enjoyed this one -- and I can easily identify with Ramona and her tribulations. I don't remember ever throwing up in school, but I survived many other fiascos. And I was definitely a nuisance.



Teaser Tuesdays is hosted by Jenn at A Daily Rhythm. If you'd like to read more teasers, or take part yourself, just head on over to her blog.

And please feel free to leave me a link to your Teaser Tuesday post in your comment here.


5 comments:

  1. I have never read the Ramona books but I have looked at them -- might give them a go. Right now, Caroline is into the Magic Tree House books so that is what we are reading regularly and collecting. I doubt you were a nuisance! I never thought I was but I am sure my 5/6 grade teacher would have a different viewpoint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love the sound of this one! When I was a student at SF State University, way back when, I took a Children's Literature course and LOVED reading the Newbery and Caldecott books. That was long before this one came out, of course, but the scene about vomiting in class reminds me of a girl in my elementary school who vomited pretty regularly. Then the janitor would scatter that stuff over it...the stuff that left an equally disgusting smell. LOL

    Thanks for sharing...and here's mine: “DRIVING LESSONS”

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the Ramona books when I was younger. I should reread them at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor Ramona. I loved this series when I was growing up. I can't wait until my daughter is old enough to read them. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved all the Ramona Quimby books as a young kid.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.