Monday, January 13, 2014

Monday Reading Update

The Fairy Tale, by Walther Firle (German, 1859-1929)

Last week, I finished Coup de Grâce by Marguerite Yourcenar.  My first book of 2014!


And it was such a short book, it really shouldn't have taken me so long to get through it.  But at least I've managed to get something read this month.  This is shaping up to be a busy week for me, but I'm hoping to get a short review up today or tomorrow.

Also hoping to get a little more reading done.  I've got a couple of books going right now, but the one that's really got me hooked is one I'm reading for the Newbery Challenge -- Fog Magic by Julia L. Sauer. 

First edition cover art by Lynd Ward

Lately, my favorite books all seem to be children's lit.  And pretty ancient children's lit at that.  Second childhood, maybe?  No -- by now, I'm definitely on my third or fourth.



It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is hosted by Sheila at Book Journey. If you want to let the world know what books you're going to be reading this week, head on over to her blog and leave your link. It's also a great way to discover new books and new blogs.

8 comments:

  1. Honestly, I think some -- no, most-- of that ancient children's lit is much better than what is out there today. I have never read "Fog Magic" but am going to check it out -- is it still in print? It looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They say it's never been out of print since it came out back in 1943 or 1944. I'm reading it on my Kindle, so it's definitely available. So far, I'm really liking it. And it's SHORT, which is very important for me right now.

      Delete
  2. I've only read one book this year myself! It's crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is! Just hoping I can get at least one more finished before February gets here!

      Delete
  3. I read a lot instead of watching the 'telly' as you call it. I think I've read 6 books so far this month. But, I'm trying to catch up with the Sherlock series on Netflix, the new season starts here in the states on Sunday January 19. Since everyone seems to like it I decided to play catch up and watch the new season. So that has been cutting into my reading time, over the week-end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really need to cut down on the TV time, too. I know I'd get a lot more reading done if I did. Haven't watched any of the new Sherlock - I was a huge Jeremy Brett fan and his Holmes sort of ruined me for any other actor in the role. But the new one does seem to be really popular - I should probably give it a look.

      Delete
  4. I'll look forward to your review of Yourcenar's book.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.