Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Teaser Tuesdays: The Dovekeepers

This week my teaser lines come from The Dovekeepers by Alice Hoffman. I've just started this one, and at first I had my doubts about whether or not I'd be able to stick with it -- it really doesn't sound like my usual read. But after fifty pages I'm still reading, which is a good sign. Hoffman's writing is gorgeous, and the story is intriguing if a little slow-paced. This snippet comes from page 154 -- and yes, a bit more than a couple of lines (sorry).
I married when I was a young woman, too inexperienced to know there was evil in the world. I was happy and I thought happiness lasted....My husband was kind and good-hearted, yet still I was granted more. When my daughter was born, she was so beautiful people stopped in the marketplace to congratulate me on my good fortune. I should have begun to worry then, for as fortune comes to you, so does it slip away.


Teaser Tuesdays is hosted by mizB at Should Be Reading. If you'd like to read more teasers, or take part yourself, just head on over to her blog.

And please feel free to leave me a link to your Teaser Tuesday post in your comment here.

9 comments:

  1. Excellent tease! I definitely would keep reading, wanting to know what comes next to break the smoothness of her life! Hope you like the rest of the book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been on the fence about this one, too, but I love Hoffman's books, and the teaser grabbed me!

    Thanks for sharing.

    Here's MY TT POST

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never read a Hoffman book, but the teaser sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Teaser and I love the cover of that book!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    Colletta

    ReplyDelete
  5. After reading that line I think I would be afraid to read more!mMy teaser comes from a Georgette Heyer novel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The writing in your Teaser is beautiful. Thanks for warning that the book is slow paced. Sometimes that's exactly what I want! This book sounds like one I'd appreciate and enjoy.
    Here's my Teaser: Sandy’s Teaser

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad that the story is working its magic on you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Doesn't that send a chill down your spine... Great teaser!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic teaser, looks like a fab book.

    Jessica from Booked Up!
    http://www.bookedupbloggers.blogspot.com/

    :)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.