Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Teaser Tuesdays: The Lover

This week my teaser lines come from The Lover by Marguerite Duras. And once again I'm cheating a bit - more than two lines, and these lines are the opening sentences of the book, so they're really not random. But they do sort of reach out and grab you:

One day, I was already old, in the entrance of a public place a man came up to me. He introduced himself and said, "I've known you for years. Everyone says you were beautiful when you were young, but I want to tell you I think you're more beautiful now than then. Rather than your face as a young woman, I prefer your face as it is now. Ravaged." [p.3]

Makes me think of all those great French cinema stars - Jeanne Moreau or Simone Signoret, or even Catherine Deneuve. I once had someone tell me I had the face of a ravaged 8-year-old. Or maybe it was ravished. No, probably not that. Well, neither of those sound like compliments, do they?


Teaser Tuesdays is hosted by mizb17 at Should Be Reading. If you'd like to read more teasers, or participate yourself, head on over to her blog. And these are the rules: Grab your current read; Let the book fall open to a random page. Share with us two (2) "teaser" sentences from somewhere on that page. You also need to share the title of the book that you're getting your "teaser" from … that way people can have some great book recommendations if they like the teaser you've given! Please avoid spoilers!

11 comments:

  1. Wouldn't we all love to have that said to us when we get older?

    Great teaser!

    You can find my teaser HERE

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not so sure I'd be happy with someone telling me I look better with a "ravaged" face. But I do love the cover of the book.
    Alayne
    http://thecrowdedleaf.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm, is ravaged is good thing? I think I would rather be told that I looked "ravished....."

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great teaser! I've been wanting to read Marguerite Duras.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Margaret Duras is a name I've seen a couple times. Must remember to look up her books. Was going to do a teaser today but finished the book, so did a review instead. Here is is anyway: http://bookbirddog.blogspot.com/2009/11/review-cheating-death-by-sanjay-gupta.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that was lovely until the last word. I'm not sure that "ravaged" can ever be a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A wonderful beginning, I read some Duras - not that - but I can't remember what(!) 20+ years ago, must revisit

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great teaser! It sounds like a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a teaser that makes me want to read the book!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the way that person thinks. There is beauty in people of all ages.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sometimes there's beauty to be found in the lines that time gives us. But...most often it's the men that look better as they age. Great teaser!

    If you'd like, you can check out mine here.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.