Friday, August 07, 2020

Book Beginnings: The Suicide House

by Charlie Donlea
Kensington Books, July 2020


Opening Lines
Session 1 
Journal Entry: THE TRACKS 
I killed my brother with a penny. Simple, benign, and perfectly believable.

About the Book
One year ago, two students were killed inside the walls of Indiana's elite Westmont Preparatory High School, in a grisly slaughter. The case has since become the focus of a hit podcast, The Suicide House. Though a teacher was convicted of the murders, mysteries and questions remain. The most urgent among them is why so many students who survived that horrific night have returned to the boarding house—to kill themselves.

Initial Thoughts

Killed with a penny. Well, OK.... I'm sort of eager to find out what that's all about. I received an ARC of this one, and (as usual) I'm a little late in getting started on it. It's part of a series, and (also as usual) I haven't read the book that came before this one. But this is just the second book in the series, so I shouldn't have too much trouble getting caught up on things.

I only just started this one, but I've read some of the reviews and they're mostly very positive. So I have high hopes.

Have a good weekend, everyone.
Stay safe. Stay calm. And happy reading!



Rose City Reader hosts Book Beginnings on Friday.  As she says, the idea is to post the first sentence (or so) of the book you're currently reading, along with any first impressions or thoughts you have about the book, the author, etc.  It's a wonderful way of adding new books to your must-read list, and a chance to connect with other readers and bloggers.

5 comments:

  1. That line got me. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have also been eyeing this book. I usually don't like prep school settings, but this one sounds unique, and that whole "killed with a penny" thing reeled me in. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen this book around. That intro is very intriguing. I want to find out more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The 'about' text makes it sound like a pretty clear plot without the first book ;) Sounds intriguing! Thanks for sharing and enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.