Thursday, September 06, 2018

Book Beginnings: The Empty House


The Empty House and Other Ghost Stories, by Algernon Blackwood (first published 1906). First sentence of the title story:

Certain houses, like certain persons, manage somehow to proclaim at once their character for evil.


About the Book:
A collection of mystery and horror tales from an author whom many critics regard as one of the masters of the genre. The Empty House and Other Ghost Stories showcases some of Algernon Blackwood's finest — and most spine-tingling — short fiction.

Initial Thoughts:

That's been one of my favorite opening sentences ever since I first read Blackwood's classic horror story "The Empty House" back when I was twelve or so. I've read more of Blackwood's stories over the years, but not all the ones in this edition. So now that the RIP challenge has come 'round again, I thought this might be a good time to fill in some gaps.

And anyway, I love a good ghost story. Do you?

Happy Friday, everyone! And have a lovely weekend.



Rose City Reader hosts Book Beginnings on Friday.  As she says, the idea is to post the first sentence (or so) of the book you're currently reading, along with any first impressions or thoughts you have about the book, the author, etc.  It's a wonderful way of adding new books to your must-read list, and a chance to connect with other readers and bloggers.

5 comments:

  1. Oh my, a good quote but I couldn't read on. I am already afraid by just one sentence. My Friday Quotes

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always find the best books! Yes, I love ghost stories, this sort of reminds me of Shirley Jackson. I will have to look into it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those lines do make me want to keep reading! But they also remind me of how frightening horror can be...sigh. Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “GOOD LUCK WITH THAT”

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a great first line, but not a big horror fan. Fascinating that the stories were written over a century ago. How do they hold up?

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.