Friday, October 02, 2015

Book Beginnings: The Anger Meridian


The Anger Meridian, by Kaylie Jones (Akashic Books, June 2015). These are the book's opening lines:
Thursday
A persistent four-toned gong rings in my ears and I am suddenly back in the dusty courtyard of the École de Sainte Thérèse de Lisieux in Cameroon and the church bell is announcing the end of the school day. The children are shouting, their deafening din rising in the hot air as they break ranks and run wildly about -- but not me, I remain firmly in line. The nuns have rulers and they'll smack you hard but most of the kids don't care.
Initial Thoughts:

I have to admit, my first reaction here isn't positive. For some reason, I'm usually turned off by books that begin with dreams or memories or "flash backs." Don't know why -- I suppose it's because I prefer to start in the here and now, sort of in medias res. I like to feel that I'm not going to have to wait for the main part of the story to get underway.

That's unfair (and slightly wacky), I know, but there it is.

One notable exception to that would be Daphne du Maurier's novel Rebecca which is one of my all-time favorite reads, and which begins: "Last night I dreamed I went to Manderley again."

But I digress.

Other than that, my early thoughts are mainly about those nuns with rulers. I definitely think I'd care if they were smacking me around. Like the narrator, I'd be very likely to stay in line.

Anyhoo.... This was an Early Reviewer book from Library Thing, and I started it several months ago, but kept getting sidetracked by other books. So I really need to get busy and finish this one.



Rose City Reader hosts Book Beginnings on Fridays. As she says, the idea is to post the first sentence (or so) of the book you're currently reading, along with any first impressions or thoughts you have about the book, the author, etc.  It's a wonderful way of adding new books to your must-read list, and a chance to connect with other readers and bloggers.

2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean! I do like to know what is happening now....except for the Rebecca reference.

    I have that book on my shelves, ready to reread. The opening line in Rebecca is a little chilling, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing how a sound or a scent can immediately evoke a memory. I don't mind an author starting in the past, as long as they don't stay there for very long. Like you, I want to get into the meat of the story.
    My Friday post features Beneath Montana’s Sky.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.