Monday, April 25, 2011

Musing Mondays: A Family of Readers?

Musing Mondays is hosted by MizB over at Should Be Reading. And this week's question is: "Do the members of your family read? Do you think it was passed down to you? (Or, if you want you can answer this: Who do you think influenced you as a reader?)"

I do come from a family of readers, at least on my mother's side of the family. My mother read a lot, and her mother read, too. So I think reading for pleasure was definitely in my genes. But even though reading was common in our clan (my cousins turned out to be readers, too), I remember being known as the family bookworm.

I suppose the biggest influence on my reading life was my mother. She always kept me well supplied with books. But my aunt (her little sister) was a great role model, too. She loved whodunits, and she passed that love down to me. Every time she saw me reading a book, she would say "Is that a mystery?" - in an almost accusing voice, as though she just couldn't imagine why anyone would be reading anything else.

8 comments:

  1. Good answer.
    Here's mine:
    http://carabosseslibrary.blogspot.com/2011/04/musing-mondays_25.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huh...it's seems as though everyone's mother side is the book reader except me. It's all my father side that I know of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I come from a huge family of readers - both on my mom's side and my dad's side.

    My full answer can be found here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, we come from a family of readers for sure -- remember PaPa reading those Louis L'amour westerns? Of course, my mother reading the newspaper was my first influence but I have to say my biggest influence was you. Thank you -- there is nothing like being able to pick up a book-- on purpose-- and enjoy reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I come from a family of readers and so far my kids are readers too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that your aunt would ask that. My favorite genre is mystery/thriller/suspense!

    Here's My Musing

    ReplyDelete
  7. I come from a family of readers too. My mom, my sister and I often talk books when we get together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. lot of moms in people's answers...and in mine too.
    I have to agree that your aunt had a point too, speaking as another mystery fan.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.