Thursday, January 12, 2017

Book Beginnings: Two Days Gone


Two Days Gone, by Randall Silvis (Sourcebooks Landmark, January 2017). These are the book's opening lines:
The waters of Lake Wilhelm are dark and chilled. In some places, the lake is deep enough to swallow a house. In others, a body could lie just beneath the surface, tangled in the morass of weeds and water plants, and remain unseen, just another shadowy form, a captive feast for the catfish and crappie and the monster bass that will nibble away at it until the bones fall asunder and bury themselves in the silty floor.
About the Book:
"A literary page-turner about a beloved college professor accused of murdering his entire family, and one small-town cop's dangerous search for answers."
My Thoughts:

Two Days Gone is apparently the first book in a planned series of mystery novels centered around police detective Ryan DeMarco. And somehow that beginning makes me think this is not going to be a light and sunny read. Maybe a tad darker than I want right now, but it's got my interest. Well, I was looking for something different from my first read of the year (Alice Hoffman's Faithful), and this is definitely very different from that.

So, what about it? Would that opening draw you in and keep you reading?



Rose City Reader hosts Book Beginnings on Friday.  As she says, the idea is to post the first sentence (or so) of the book you're currently reading, along with any first impressions or thoughts you have about the book, the author, etc.  It's a wonderful way of adding new books to your must-read list, and a chance to connect with other readers and bloggers.


2 comments:

  1. Oh, yes, I can already tell that the story will be twisted...and I am eager to meet the characters, who sound engaging. Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “THE STEP MOTHER”

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like it could be a good mystery. :)

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.