Friday, October 30, 2015

Book Beginnings: Between a Rock and a Hard Place


Between a Rock and a Hard Place, by Marty Wingate (Alibi, August 2015). First paragraph of the Prologue:
Three boys in school uniforms, their ties askew now at the end of the day, edged their way over the imaginary line drawn on the pavement by the police constable. "Stay there," the PC had said only minutes before as he pointed to an invisible spot on the ground. "Don't come any closer to the bridge." The boys, none of them more than ten years old, did as they were told.
Initial Thoughts:

Well, my first thought was that I don't think I know any ten-year-olds who actually do as they're told. Not for very long, anyway. But then, my experience of ten-year-olds is rather limited.

Have to admit, it's not the most scintillating of openings, but enough to keep me reading. What's going on with that "imaginary line"? And why can't the boys come near it? Is this a crime scene? Of course, it is -- this is a mystery novel, after all. So I'm hoping for more action soon.



Rose City Reader hosts Book Beginnings on Fridays. As she says, the idea is to post the first sentence (or so) of the book you're currently reading, along with any first impressions or thoughts you have about the book, the author, etc.  It's a wonderful way of adding new books to your must-read list, and a chance to connect with other readers and bloggers.

2 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure I have this on my kindle - I just haven't started the series yet - I do love the covers for these books though - I agree getting a 10 year old to do what he/she is told is not easy...lol....Here's My Friday Post

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the cover! I am such a sucker for covers. I think your teaser is enticing, is this a series? As far as 10 year olds go -- I can't remember but I can tell you that 5,6, and 8 years olds don't do as they are told -- ever.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.