Friday, December 03, 2021

Book Beginnings: Death in a White Tie



by Ngaio Marsh
First published 1938


Opening Lines
'Roderick,' said Lady Alleyn, looking at her son over the top of her spectacles, 'I am coming out.'


About the Book
A body in the back of a taxi begins an elegantly constructed mystery, perhaps the finest of Marsh's 1930s novels. The season had begun. Debutantes and chaperones were planning their luncheons, teas, dinners, balls. And the blackmailer was planning his strategies, stalking his next victim. But Chief Detective Inspector Roderick Alleyn knew that something was up. He had already planted his friend Lord Robert Gospell at the scene. But someone else got there first....(Publisher's description)

Initial Thoughts
 
Coming out? Well, all righty. Coming out of what, I wonder. Have to remember — this is 1938. So...?

I've read a bunch of Ngaio Marsh's Inspector Alleyn mysteries, over the years. And I tend to skip around rather than reading them in sequence. So I've managed to neglect some of the earlier books and this is one I'm just now getting to. Hoping it's as entertaining as all the others have been.


Have a good weekend, everyone.
And happy reading!



Rose City Reader hosts Book Beginnings on Friday As she says, the idea is to post the first sentence (or so) of the book you're currently reading, along with any first impressions or thoughts you have about the book, the author, etc.  It's a wonderful way of adding new books to your must-read list, and a chance to connect with other readers and bloggers.


3 comments:

  1. What does coming out in this text mean? Outside? Please use this hyperlink to view my blog post for Friday Quotes. I couldn't get the linky to accept my URl. Thanks. Friday Quotes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, that is interesting! I hope you enjoy it. Have a great weekend. https://cindysbookcorner.blogspot.com/2021/12/first-line-friday-28-debutantes-code.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I am definitely curious! Thanks for sharing...and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.