Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Teaser Tuesday: Rosemary's Baby


This week my teaser lines come from Rosemary's Baby, by Ira Levin. This snippet is from p.24 of the new paperback edition (sorry it's more than two sentences, but they're short sentences):
They heard Minnie Castevet before they met her; heard her through their bedroom wall, shouting in a hoarse midwestern bray. "Roman, come to bed! It's twenty past eleven!" And five minutes later: "Roman? Bring me in some root beer when you come!"
Now who doesn't like a nice bit of root beer at bedtime, hmmm?

Levin's wonderfully spooky/funny horror tale has always been one of my favorite books. And since 2017 marks the novel's 50th anniversary (it was first published in 1967), I decided to give it a quick reread and was very happy to find it's just as good now as it was when I first read it back in the Pleistocene Era.

The book has been translated into dozens of languages and reprinted over and over, with most of the covers focussing on the apartment house where it all takes place — like the paperback edition (above) and the original hardback:


But some of the other covers have been a little more creative — not to mention lurid. I like this one which seems to be a Greek edition and features a spooky broken doll that really doesn't have much of anything to do with the story.


Chilling image.

So, is this a book you'd read? Or maybe you've read it in the past? Or do you read horror novels?

Oh, and have you seen the movie? (Also one of my faves.) It's very faithful to the book, and has some great redecorating scenes, if you're into HGTV-type viewing.




If you'd like to see more Teaser Tuesday offerings, or do some teasing yourself, just head on over to The Purple Booker and leave your link. And please feel free to leave me a link to your Teaser Tuesday post in your comment here.


6 comments:

  1. While I am not usually a fan of horror, I have read several by this author, including this one. And I've seen the movie a few times.

    Those opening lines make those neighbors sounds so...normal? lol

    Here's mine: “BRIDGES: A DAPHNE WHITE NOVEL”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your depiction of the 60s as the "Pleistocene Era." lol

      Delete
    2. Thanks! Yes, I'm feeling more and more like a being from another time, or maybe another planet!

      Delete
  2. I saw the movie back in the Pleistocene Era (love that!) but never read the book. I imagine it's even spookier than the movie. Thanks for including the different covers.
    My Tuesday post features The Boys in the Boat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never read the book but have seen the movie numerous times. I love watching movies for the sets and decor. The older movies are especially great-- I love "Bunny Lake is Missing" for just that purpose. I might pick up a copy of the book and give it a go. Pleistocene Era -- not quite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The "Rosemary's Baby" movie is very faithful to the book - the dialogue is pretty much taken verbatim from the novel. It's one of my favorites (book and movie, both) - I love Ruth Gordon as Minnie Castevet.

      Yes! "Bunny Lake" is a great movie. For some reason, I had never seen it until a couple of years ago. Now it's also one of my faves.

      Oh yeah, Pleistocene or even earlier!

      Delete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.