Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Teaser Tuesdays: My Brilliant Career

This week my teaser lines come from the classic coming of age novel My Brilliant Career by Australian author Miles Franklin. Published in 1901, the book is the story of a young girl living in rural Australia in the 1890s, and was written by Franklin when she was just a teenager, for (she claimed) the amusement of her friends. In this snippet, the book's narrator Sybylla Melvyn is lamenting her fate as a young, ambitious, and impoverished female of the day:
Girls! girls! Those of you who have hearts, and therefore a wish for happiness, homes, and husbands by and by, never develop a reputation of being clever. It will put you out of the matrimonial running as effectually as though it had been circulated that you had leprosy.
I'm reading this on my iPad, so I'm not sure of page numbers, but the quote comes from Chapter Seven.


Teaser Tuesdays is hosted by mizB at Should Be Reading. If you'd like to read more teasers, or take part yourself, just head on over to her blog.

And please feel free to leave me a link to your Teaser Tuesday post in your comment here.

6 comments:

  1. Oh, this one sounds fabulous! Thanks for sharing....

    Here's MY TT POST and
    MY WEBSITE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, thats a statement teaser for sure. Don't be clever hey :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't want to marry a man who only wanted a stupid woman! Good teaser!

    Here's my teaser!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heh, reminds me of a line from one of Alison Weir's novels, in which a man dismisses Elizabeth as a potential mate because she is far too quiet and clever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds good, great teaser!

    here's mine:

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/11/teaser-tuesday_29.html

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.