Tuesday, January 09, 2018

There Be Madness Here! One More Sign-up



Host: Bev @ My Reader's Block
Dates: Throughout 2018 (sign-ups open until November 1, 2018)
Challenge Goal: Each month during 2018, read at least one book with a title that includes one or more of that month's key words (see the sign-up page for the monthly word lists).



There are soooo many reasons why I should NOT be looking around for more reading challenges to sign up for in 2018 – the main one being that I promised myself I wouldn't overdo it again this year. I've already got myself involved in ten other challenges, and I figured that was more than enough to keep me busy.

But it's really hard to pass up the Monthly Key Word Challenge. All those lovely lists of words to match up with books! I tried it last year and did pretty well for the first four or five months. Then the host blog (My Soul Called Life) disappeared, but even if it hadn't gone away I don't think I would have been able to finish the challenge. Too much real-life stuff going on. And I'm really not sure I'm likely to do any better this year, but I do love the idea of using Bev's word lists to guide some of my reading choices each month. And I'm hoping it will help me knock a few books off my ridiculously enormous TBR lists.

The plan is (in theory, at least), to make a list of possible reads for each month and then somehow choose at least one, as randomly as possible. (Is "randomly" a word?). For January, the key words were: white, ice, year, baby, hat, dance, top, road, if. And after spending quite a while combing through my physical library and my want-to-read list at GoodReads, I came up with a batch of possibilities for the month. It was surprisingly short:
  • Death in a White Tie (Roderick Alleyn #7), by Ngaio Marsh
  • The Road to Lichfield, by Penelope Lively
  • Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?, by Henry Farrell
  • The Year of Magical Thinking, by Joan Didion

I thought about using a randomizer to choose my book, but with just four titles, that seemed a little like overkill. So I wrote each title on a slip of paper, put all the slips in a teacup, and pulled one out. And the winner was... The Road to Lichfield – which was actually the one I was intending to read anyway. Must be fate.

OK, now I should get reading. During the year, I'll be tracking my progress over on my challenge blog.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.