Friday, July 15, 2016

Book Beginnings: Vinegar Girl


Vinegar Girl, by Anne Tyler (Hogarth, June 2016). Here's the first sentence of Chapter One:
Kate Battista was gardening out back when she heard the telephone ring in the kitchen.
My Thoughts:

Well, I'm a little embarrassed that my first thought was "Wow, they have a landline!" Yes, I know there's no reason it couldn't have been a cell phone ringing in the kitchen. I guess I just assume that these days there's no such thing as an unattended cell phone.

Aside from that, the only thought that first sentence brings to mind is that I can't imagine the original Kate -- from Shakespeare's Taming of the Shrew -- doing a spot of gardening. She'd probably rip up all the plants and dump them all on her sister's head. That's, of course, the pre-Petruchio, untamed Kate.

I've had this one on my radar for a while now, and hope to get through it quickly. I've read a couple of Anne Tyler's books that I really enjoyed -- Noah's Compass and The Accidental Tourist -- and started a few others that I wasn't able to finish. So I'm not sure what to expect from this one. But Taming is one of my favorite plays and I have fond memories of playing the Shrew in a high school production, so I have high hopes for the book.



Rose City Reader hosts Book Beginnings on Friday.  As she says, the idea is to post the first sentence (or so) of the book you're currently reading, along with any first impressions or thoughts you have about the book, the author, etc.  It's a wonderful way of adding new books to your must-read list, and a chance to connect with other readers and bloggers.



5 comments:

  1. I've enjoyed other books by Anne Tyler (including The Accidental Tourist) so I'm sure this is one I'd like too. Her writing is so wonderful! This sounds like another good one.
    My Friday post features THE REVENANT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this book on my Kindle, and I'm eager to read it...soon. I loved The Accidental Tourist and Noah's Compass...and several other books by the author.

    I am one of the few people who has a landline in addition to cell phone. I scarcely hear the cell phone when it rings, but texting on it is handy. And visiting social media...lol.

    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice idea for a book, but I already know the outcome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was good! And Kate was a bit shrewish! I remember going to see you in that play!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been seeing this all over the place lately - happy reading!

    Check out my Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings).

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.