Thursday, March 31, 2016

Book Beginnings: The Mists of Avalon


The Mists of Avalon, by Marion Zimmer Bradley (first published 1982). This is the first paragraph of the book's Prologue:
Morgaine speaks...
In my time I have been called many things: sister, lover, priestess, wise-woman, queen. Now in truth I have come to be wise-woman, and a time may come when these things may need to be known. But in sober truth, I think it is the Christians who will tell the last tale. For ever the world of Fairy drifts further from the world in which the Christ holds sway. I have no quarrel with the Christ, only with his priests, who call the Great Goddess a demon and deny that she ever held power in this world. At best, they say that her power was of Satan. Or else they clothe her in the blue robe of the Lady of Nazareth -- who indeed had power in her way, too -- and say that she was ever virgin. But what can a virgin know of the sorrows and travail of mankind?
Initial Thoughts:

Well, I love it. I've been loving it for years. I've been intending to read this book, for decades now. I've started it several times, never made it all the way through. I'm thinking of starting it again and reading it for the Once Upon a Time challenge. Thinking about it. The thing that always defeats me is the fact that it's almost 900 pages long -- and at the rate I read, I'll be reading it all year!

So, I don't know. Maybe. Maybe not.

Still love the opening, though. And the subject matter. Hmmmm....?




Rose City Reader hosts Book Beginnings on Fridays. As she says, the idea is to post the first sentence (or so) of the book you're currently reading, along with any first impressions or thoughts you have about the book, the author, etc.  It's a wonderful way to add new books to your must-read list, and a chance to connect with other readers and bloggers.


12 comments:

  1. That is beautiful writing. I know what you mean about 900 pages, though. Daunting. Here's my Friday Book Avenue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, daunting is exactly the word! I'm not sure I could stick it out, even though the writing really is gorgeous.

      Thanks for the visit this week!

      Delete
  2. I have always wanted to read The Mists of Avalon as I've heard great things about it but the 900 pages is a little daunting, maybe I'll try it on audio sometime. Nice beginning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never really gotten into audio books, but you're right -- that might be just what I need for this one. Definitely something to think about.

      Thanks for stopping by! Hope you have a great week of reading.

      Delete
  3. I just passed this book and others by Bradley yesterday when I was doing the inventory in my library. I had the thought if I should keep the series in my library because it isn't checked out and I don't anything about it and then today, your post. It's a sign. Keep it.
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am definitely intrigued and want to know more. The prose is beautiful. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loe the Arthurian legends and related stories, and remember liking this one a lot. I don't know if I'd read it now, so many years later, but I might give it a try again. I loved T.H. White's The Once and Future King, about Arthur. You might give that one a try - it's a classic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Once and Future King is one of my all-time favorites! I've read it a couple of times, first time when I was a pre-teen. I think it's really the best of the books based on the Arthur legends. Glad you liked it, too!

      Thanks for stopping by, and Happy Reading this week!

      Delete
  6. I like the beginning of this book - and the writing style of the author - this book is the basis for the mini-series with the same name starring Anjelica Houston, Juliana Marguliees, Joan Allen and Samantha Mathis - a miniseries I really enjoyed watching - so this is a great choice. Here's my Friday meme

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful cover....I hope the book is enjoyable.

    Have a good weekend.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My It's Monday, What Are You Reading

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cool cover and you know me and covers! 900 pages though -- yeah -- I don't know about that. I don't know if I could hold the book long enough!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't read this book but want to but like you I'm kind of put off by the book length - I do know that I loved the mini-series they made of it - gives the whole Morgaine, Arthur and Guinevere a really different twist. Here's my my Friday meme

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.