Tuesday, February 09, 2016

Teaser Tuesdays: Flora and Ulysses


This week my teaser lines come from the 2014 Newbery Medal winner, Flora & Ulysses by Kate DiCamillo -- one of the books I'm planning to read for the 2016 Newbery Reading Challenge. This snippet is from page 82 of the hardback edition:
Ulysses sat up straighter in his Bootsie Boots shoe box. He looked at Tootie. He nodded.
"I was moved by your poetry," said Tootie to the squirrel.
I don't really know what's going on there -- I haven't actually read any of the book yet. But I love the idea of a squirrel poet.

I've been in a bit of a reading "slump" since the beginning of this year. Well, actually more than a bit -- only finished two books in January, and haven't been able to settle down and do any reading at all in February. But I've found that reading children's books is usually a very good way to get myself going again. So, I have high hopes for the rest of the month.



Teaser Tuesdays is hosted by Jenn at A Daily Rhythm. If you'd like to read more teasers, or take part yourself, just head on over to her blog.

And please feel free to leave me a link to your Teaser Tuesday post in your comment here.

5 comments:

  1. When in a slump, I often find that changing up my usual genres really helps...for me, it's been cozy mysteries.

    Thanks for sharing, and this does sound like a delightful story.

    Here's mine: “THE PASSENGER”

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you are able to find your way out of the slump soon. I hope reading children's books will help! I imagine they might, given how quick they can be to read once you get into them.

    This one sounds like a lot of fun! I would like to spend time with a squirrel that writes poetry too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sort of in a slump as well -- haven't quit reading just going very slowly. I like the sound of your book though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right -- switching to a different genre can help with a reading slump. I'm not sure I'd enjoy this book unless I read it with my granddaughter.
    My Tuesday post features THE GIVER. It's a Newbery winner too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you find your way out of your slump! But I'm sure you'll pick up again when youve had a break :D

    My teaser is from Promise of Blood by Brian McClellan

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.