Monday, January 06, 2014

Monday Reading Update

"Train Ride" by Agnes Cleeve (Swedish, 1896-1951)

This week I'm going to try my best to get back to some serious reading, now that all the holiday hubbub is dying away.  Also trying to organize some of the books I'm going to be reading for the various reading challenges I've signed up for (sixteen, and possibly one more to come).  I've got a couple of books going (as usual), but the one I'm concentrating on at the moment is Coup de Grâce by Marguerite Yourcenar.


It's a book I've intended to read for years now, and my Alphabet Challenge over at Library Thing gave me the nudge I needed.  So far, I'm enjoying it although it's not exactly what I expected.  But it's a short book and I'm almost halfway through it - should be able to finish it up tonight.

After that, next up is The Universe Versus Alex Woods, by Gavin Extence.  Tried to begin that one last month, but only managed to get a few pages read, so I'm starting over.  The bits I've peeked at up to now have been amazing, and I'm hoping it continues to delight.


For the rest of January, I'm trying to stick with shorter works.  Maybe some Muriel Spark.  Maybe a Newbery winner or two.  Don't want to get bogged down in chunksters just as the year is getting started.



It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is hosted by Sheila at Book Journey. If you want to let the world know what books you're going to be reading this week, head on over to her blog and leave your link. It's also a great way to discover new books and new blogs.

5 comments:

  1. WOW!! 16 reading challenges. I joined 6 or 7. Not as brave as you. Happy reading and I hope you meet all your reading goals this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your goals. Choosing short books is always one of my goals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 16 challenges? I can't even keep up with 2 or 3 so I've given up on them. Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 2014 is off to a great start! :) Good luck on the Challenges - I'm doing five or six I think. Happy Reading This Week!! The Brunette Librarian's Blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a lot of challenges. Good luck with those and happy reading this week.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.