Friday, January 31, 2014

Book Beginnings: The Bookman's Tale


This is one of the books I intended to read in 2013, but never managed to get to -- The Bookman's Tale by Charlie Lovett.  Still intend to read it, even though I'm about a year late.  These are the opening lines:
Wales could be cold in February. Even without snow or wind the damp winter air permeated Peter's topcoat and settled in his bones as he stood outside one of the dozens of bookshops that crowded the narrow streets of Hay. Despite the warm glow in the window that illuminated a tantalizing display of Victorian novels, Peter was in no hurry to open the door. It had been nine months since he had entered a bookshop; another few minutes wouldn't make a difference. There had been a time when this was all so familiar, so safe; when stepping into a rare bookshop had been a moment of excitement, meeting a fellow book lover a part of a grand adventure.
Peter Byerly was, after all, a bookseller.

Initial Thoughts:  Well, so far,  I like it -- even though I haven't gotten any further than that first page.  It's got me wondering -- if he's a bookseller, why exactly has he been away from bookshops for so long.  Also, I've always wanted to visit Hay-on-Wye, a town world-famous for its second-hand and antiquarian bookshops.  And any book about a bookseller just has to be something I'll enjoy.  So I'm looking forward to this one.


http://www.rosecityreader.com/2013/12/book-beginning-sinful-folk-by-ned-hayes.html

Rose City Reader hosts Book Beginnings on Fridays. As she says, the idea is to post the first sentence (or so) of the book you're currently reading, along with any first impressions or thoughts you have about the book, the author, etc.  It's a wonderful way of adding new books to your must-read list, and a chance to connect with other readers and bloggers.

5 comments:


  1. Love the beginning! I would go on....

    Here is my post

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm intrigued. What could have happened to cause this bookseller to avoid bookstores? I'd also like to visit this town, at least via this story!
    Here's the link to my Friday post: QUILT TRIP.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm intrigued...and I can almost feel the chill in the air. I wonder why he is afraid to enter to bookshop? Thanks for sharing...and here's MY FRIDAY POST

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks good -- I will have to check it out. You always find the most interesting books!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All will be revealed in the first few chapters.

    Clare

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.