Thursday, June 07, 2012

Booking Through Thursday: Secondly

This week, BTT asks: "Favorite secondary characters? (Note the plural)."

Yes, I've got some.

But it's very late, and I've got to get some sleep tonight, so I only have time to mention one.

And actually, one of my absolute favorite literary characters is a secondary. Ariadne Oliver is a recurring character in several of Agatha Christie's Hercule Poirot mystery novels. She's a wonderfully eccentric character -- an author of mystery novels herself, and Christie's alter ego. She frequently complains about her most famous creation, the Finnish detective Sven Hjerson, just as Christie was known to complain about her famous Belgian sleuth Poirot. Mrs. Oliver (apparently a widow, although we don't really learn much about her husband in the novels) appears in only seven of the books, and a few short stories. I've always wished Christie had seen fit to let her star in a few works of her own.

5 comments:

  1. I don't know Mrs. Oliver but she sounds like a great character.

    My BTT

    ReplyDelete
  2. She sounds like a good choice.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2012/06/booking-through-thursday.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. A good selection.

    http://theplotthickensbookblog.blogspot.com/2012/06/booking-through-thursday.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember Adriane Oliver but not that she appeared in as many as seven of the books! Great choice.
    Here's my BTT post

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ariadne is a good choice. I somehow always forget her when I'm thinking about Agatha Christie, though.

    Here's my BTT

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.