Monday, February 13, 2012

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

Last week, I finished one book:

A Fall of Moondust, by Arthur C. Clarke

And put up one review:

Liberty, by Garrison Keillor

This week, I'm reading:

The Dovekeepers, by Alice Hoffman

Picked this one up at the library last week, and just started reading it last night. So far I'm liking it enough to keep going. But it's a very long book, and I'm not sure it's going to hold my interest for 500 pages. We'll see. Here's the description from the publisher's website:
In 70 C.E., nine hundred Jews held out for months against armies of Romans on Masada, a mountain in the Judean desert. According to the ancient historian Josephus, two women and five children survived. Based on this tragic and iconic event, Hoffman’s novel is a spellbinding tale of four extraordinarily bold, resourceful, and sensuous women, each of whom has come to Masada by a different path. Yael’s mother died in childbirth, and her father, an expert assassin, never forgave her for that death. Revka, a village baker’s wife, watched the horrifically brutal murder of her daughter by Roman soldiers; she brings to Masada her young grandsons, rendered mute by what they have witnessed. Aziza is a warrior’s daughter, raised as a boy, a fearless rider and an expert marksman who finds passion with a fellow soldier. Shirah, born in Alexandria, is wise in the ways of ancient magic and medicine, a woman with uncanny insight and power.

The lives of these four complex and fiercely independent women intersect in the desperate days of the siege. All are dovekeepers, and all are also keeping secrets—about who they are, where they come from, who fathered them, and whom they love.
It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is hosted by Sheila at Book Journey. If you want to let the world know what books you're going to be reading this week, head on over to her blog and leave your link. It's also a great way to discover new books and new blogs.

6 comments:

  1. 500 pages! Yow, I hope it grabs you and keeps your interest to the end. Have a wonderful week and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm intrigued by the doves on her shoulders. Looks like a good book! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you enjoy The Dovekeepers. That is a long one, although I find many novels these days seem to be getting towards that length.

    Here's mine: http://thelittlereaderlibrary.blogspot.com/2012/02/its-monday-what-are-you-reading.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my book clubs will be reading The Dovekeepers later this month and early reports aren't positive so I'm a little nervous about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Dovekeepers is one that has intrigued me for a while...looking forward to what you think when you're finished!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed The Dovekeepers. I found myself completely forgetting about the inevitable ending because Hoffman creates such interesting characters and interactions.
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.