Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Random Notes: Awards and Prizes

Saw a notice in this morning's Shelf Awareness newsletter – this year's Man Booker Short List has been issued:
Parrot and Olivier in America by Peter Carey (Knopf)
Room by Emma Donoghue (Little, Brown)
In a Strange Room by Damon Galgut (Atlantic Books)
The Finkler Question by Howard Jacobson (Bloomsbury UK)
The Long Song by Andrea Levy (FSG)
C by Tom McCarthy (Knopf)
I'm not sure how many of those have been released here in the US. The news caught my attention because I just received a copy of Room, which I haven't started yet (but it sounds really intriguing). The winner will be announced October 12. You can read more about the list here.

And the Hugo Award winners for this year have been announced. I don't read as much sci-fi as I once did, but I still like to keep up with the major publications in the genre. This year there was a tie for the Best Novel award, between The City & The City by China MiƩville and The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi.

The award for Best Novella went to "Palimpsest" by Charles Stross; "The Island" by Peter Watts won the award for Best Novelette; and the Best Short Story award went to "Bridesicle" by Will McIntosh. Read about the rest of the winners and the Hugo Awards in general here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.