Thursday, December 31, 2009

Booking Through Thursday: Favorites of the Year

This week's BTT topic is a good one, and just what you'd expect: "What were your favorite books of the year? (Books that were new to you in 2009, if not necessarily published this year.)"

I guess it's natural to want to look back at your year's reading and do some summing up. I've already done a post about the books I read in 2009 (Reading Wrap-Up), but didn't rate anything. I enjoyed almost all the books I read – only a few were real stinkers. Here's the list of my ten favorites.
  • The Age of Innocence, by Edith Wharton
  • Ellen Foster, by Kaye Gibbons
  • The Great Victorian Collection, by Brian Moore
  • Homer & Langley, by E.L. Doctorow
  • The Longshot, by Katie Kitamura
  • The Master, by Colm Toibin
  • Rabbit Is Rich, by John Updike
  • Sacred Hearts, by Sarah Dunant
  • Stardust, by Joseph Kanon
  • The Uncommon Reader, by Alan Bennett
The list is in alphabetical order, but of all of them, I think Edith Wharton's The Age of Innocence would actually be my top pick – the one I can see myself reading again in years to come.

7 comments:

  1. I've only read 1 of those books. With all that I read last year, I still feel like I missed so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice list, Joy. I read Ellen Foster quite a long time ago and liked it very much. I read The Uncommon Reader in 2008 - lovely book. I hope to read Sacred Hearts in 2010.
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Uncommon Reader made my list this year, too! I love Wharton, but haven't read Age of Innocence yet. Discovered Toibin this year with Brooklyn, and now want to read all he's written! Great list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list of books! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I only gave up on 2 books 2009. I'm going to review your wrap up post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I loved Ellen Foster when I read it back in college. So moving! Great list. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting list. I tried Age of Innocence twice and couldn't do it. It may have been because I was in school and pressed for time. I'll have to give it another go.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.