Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Teaser Tuesdays: Another Epidemic

This week my Teaser lines come from Edith Wharton's The Old Maid, one of the works I'm reading for the November Novella Challenge. In this quote, Delia Ralston is listening to her unmarried sister Charlotte talking about why she's decided not to marry the man she was engaged to, and finding it hard to understand Charlotte's enthusiasm for looking after the children of the "ignorant and careless" poor [from Chapter I, p.383 of Novellas and Other Writings by Edith Wharton, Library of America edition]:
No one in New York had forgotten the death of the poor Henry van der Luydens' only child, who had caught smallpox at the circus to which an unprincipled nurse had surreptitiously taken him. After such a warning as that, parents felt justified in every precaution against contagion.
Well, maybe not all that tempting a teaser, but it is sort of timely, isn't it? Of course, H1N1 isn't quite as deadly as smallpox was in the 19th century – so far, at least. Just hope it stays that way.

Photo of Edith Wharton: Wikipedia's Wikimedia Commons.

Teaser Tuesdays is hosted by mizB17 at Should Be Reading. If you'd like to read more teasers, or participate yourself, head on over to her blog. And these are the rules: Grab your current read; Let the book fall open to a random page. Share with us two (2) "teaser" sentences from that page, somewhere between lines 7 and 12. You also need to share the title of the book that you're getting your "teaser" from … that way people can have some great book recommendations if they like the teaser you've given! Please avoid spoilers!

5 comments:

  1. Yup, I thought of H1N1 immediately.

    http://readwithtea.blogspot.com/2009/11/tuesday-teasers.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to read her book Te Age Of Innocence and just couldn't get into it yet I loved the movie. It's usually the other way around for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting teaser and it is quite timely. Thanks for sharing. I remember reading one of Wharton's books in high school but it was really difficult to get through and I haven't picked up anything since. Short stories don't sound too bad though.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.