Thursday, July 02, 2009

Booking Through Thursday: Celebrities?

Thursday again. And July already. How can that be? Ah well, time for another Booking Through Thursday question, suggested this week by Callista83:
Do you read celebrity memoirs? Which ones have you read or do you want to read? Which nonexistent celebrity memoirs would you like to see?
Well, at first, I was tempted just to say no. But I do read the occasional memoir or autobiography. And some of the authors of those would, I suppose, qualify as celebrities – at least in the literary world. I read the entire series of memoirs Anthony Powell wrote back in the '70s and '80s, and I think I'd definitely consider him a literary celebrity. And I've got Muriel Spark's autobiography, Curriculum Vitae, on my TBR list at present.

But if we're talking about more traditional celebrities – movie stars, sports figures, political types – then, no I don't generally read those. I've read a few in the past, but these days I read mostly fiction. Although, come to think of it, some celebrity memoirs might actually qualify in that area.

I guess the problem I'm having here is with the word celebrity. Because today we're saddled with so many "celebrities" who are mostly famous just for being celebrities. Like those instantly-famous individuals from the "Survivor" TV show. Or lottery winners. Or Donald Trump. I'm sure they've all lived fascinating lives, but it's unlikely I'm gonna be reading about them.

4 comments:

  1. Who wants to read about a person famous for being famous. July spun around fast, didn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't read celebrity books as I hear about them in the media anyway. The closest I got was a novel based on a writer's life, but it was fictionalized.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love memoirs but don't read many celebrity memoirs. After the media's through with them, there's not much they could tell us that we don't already know.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.