Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Teaser Tuesdays: Who Do You Think You Are? Sherlock Holmes?

This week, I'm reading The Valley of Fear by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. The title makes it sound like it might be one of Conan Doyle's ripping yarn type adventure tales, with dinosaurs roaming the lost Amazonian jungles. But in reality it was his final Sherlock Holmes novel, first appearing as a magazine serial in 1914. Here's a quote from page 56 of this edition:
"It's all very well your saying that a man escaped by wading this moat, but what I ask you is, how did he ever get into the house at all if the bridge was up?"
"Ah, that's the question," said Barker.
Yes, indeed – that's the question all right. And that's exactly why you should always be sure your bridge is up and your moat is stocked with piranha fish.

And here's another snippet, much more representative of Holmes' personality and the whole Holmes/Watson dynamic:
"Good, Watson, good! But not, if I may say so, quite good enough!" [p. 21]
Poor Watson. Why does he put up with it all?


Teaser Tuesdays is hosted by mizB17 at Should Be Reading. If you'd like to read more teasers, or participate yourself, head on over to her blog. And these are the rules: Grab your current read; Let the book fall open to a random page. Share with us two (2) "teaser" sentences from that page, somewhere between lines 7 and 12. You also need to share the title of the book that you're getting your "teaser" from … that way people can have some great book recommendations if they like the teaser you've given! Please avoid spoilers!

8 comments:

  1. I love Holmes. Good teasers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never read Doyle, but this sounds interesting. Great teaser - and bonus :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read Sherlock Holmes in my college W132 class. It was the only good thing that came from the class, in fact LOL...

    ReplyDelete
  4. How did he get in? Great teaser.

    ~ Popin

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never read this type of book but my sister in law just recently read a Holmes book also. Maybe from the same author. You have definitely added to my curiosity. Great teasers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I shouldn't admit it, but I've never appreciated Sherlock Holmes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah yes... I really like Holmes too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not read the Holmes stories for 40+ (eek) years, must revisit! though there is the patronising approach which might prevent me

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.