Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Teaser Tuesdays: Don't Mess With Old Folk

This week, my teasers come from Silver on the Tree, by Susan Cooper. In this snippet, Will Stanton is trying to explain to his older brother Stephen about himself and his mission to save the world from the forces of the Dark:

"We are the Old Ones," Will said, strong and self-confident now. "There is a great circle of us, all over the world and beyond the world, from all places and all corners of time." [p. 13]

And he's not talking about us Baby Boomers!

I read the first four books in Cooper's The Dark Is Rising sequence last year, for the Once Upon a Time II Challenge, and really enjoyed them. So I'm very much looking forward to finishing up the series with this final book, which I'm reading for this year's OUT/III Challenge. As the publishers explain, the six main characters "fight fear and death in the darkly brooding Welsh hills, in a quest through time and space that touches the most ancient myths of the British Isles." And maybe it's because of my Welsh blood or something, but that sounds to me like the finest of tales.

Teaser Tuesdays is hosted by mizB17 at Should Be Reading. If you'd like to read more teasers, or participate yourself, head on over to her blog. And these are the rules: Grab your current read; Let the book fall open to a random page. Share with us two (2) "teaser" sentences from that page, somewhere between lines 7 and 12. You also need to share the title of the book that you're getting your "teaser" from … that way people can have some great book recommendations if they like the teaser you've given! Please avoid spoilers!

16 comments:

  1. I'm reading a good one: Talking to the Dead by Bonnie Grove.

    Having lived in DC and MD, I do miss those crab cakes! Believe me, there's no place else where they're as tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If they are not us Boomers, who are they? Now you have me wondering. That's what a teaser is supposed to do - right

    Margot @ Joyfully Retired

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice teaser! I'm glad you're enjoying the series!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that one sounds very intriguing. I'm glad you put in the publisher's explanation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like an interesting series!

    My TT is here today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great teaser! I might have to look into this book. It does sound very Welsh, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope that the Old Ones are older than I am.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds intriguing. I'll be watching for your thoughts on it. My teaser is here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Makes me want to find out what they're the Old Ones of!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never heard of these books, but your teaser does make me curious. Especially if the old ones are not baby boomers. :)

    Great teaser!

    ~ Popin

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed The Dark is Rising series when I was young, but I don't remember it that well. I think it's time to re-read it!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.