Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Teaser Tuesdays: Time For a Little Rumpus

This week I'll be starting The Unit by the Swedish writer Ninni Holmqvist. It came to me through the Early Reviewer program at LibraryThing, so I know I did request it. But after skimming a few pages, I'm really wondering how I'll be able to get through such a depressing book. Well, at least it sounds depressing – people over a certain age being harvested for body parts. But for now, I'll reserve judgment and just throw out a few teaser lines:
Time was passing, inexorably. I would soon be fifty-one. Johannes had just turned sixty-four, which was old for a dispensable person. [p.176]
Don't know about you, but that just made me shiver a bit. So I'll include a couple of teasers from a happier book. I've been reading Knight's Castle by Edward Eager, for the Once Upon a Time III Challenge. When I was young, I used to love Eager's magic fantasies; and this is one I never managed to get to until now.
What they saw was a perfectly ordinary-looking rumpus room. If it hadn't been so big it might have looked rather jolly. [p.133]
Hmmmm. Wonder whatever happened to rumpus rooms? They used to be all the rage in the '50s. I guess now they've turned into family rooms, haven't they? Cut out all that "rumpus." Sounds much more well-behaved, doesn't it? But not quite so jolly.

Teaser Tuesdays is hosted by MizB at Should Be Reading. If you'd like to read more teasers, or participate yourself, head on over to her blog. And these are the rules: Grab your current read; Let the book fall open to a random page. Share with us two (2) "teaser" sentences from that page, somewhere between lines 7 and 12. You also need to share the title of the book that you're getting your "teaser" from … that way people can have some great book recommendations if they like the teaser you've given! Please avoid spoilers!

12 comments:

  1. I remember my grandparents saying rumpus room! They's tell us to get our rumps to the rumpus room if we want to fool around! ;O0

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't rumpus rooms in the basement? Family rooms are located on the ground floor, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first quote sounds a bit like Ishiguro's book - Never Let Me Go, which is a very chilling book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with reading The Unit! the Kight's Castle looks fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That first books sounds pretty creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - that first book (talking about dispensible people) does sound depressing. But the second teaser ends us on a good note! :)

    Here's my Teaser! ~ Wendi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun teasers -- good luck with the depressing book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Unit is on my wish list, although I agree it also sounds depressing. I hope it's a good read!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I'd rather have a rumpus room, since my kiddies are always making a rumpus in every room of the house. I'll watch for your review on the first book. read my teaser here

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I was a kid, the big room in the basement was called the rumpus room, too. I'd totally forgotten about that.

    Love both your teasers, both the first rather grim one and the second one too.

    My own teaser is at Bookishgal

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.