Friday, March 13, 2009

Friday Finds: 13 March 2009

Friday Finds is a weekly event hosted by MizB at Should Be Reading. Participants are asked to "share with other bloggers about the new-to-you books found during the week – books you either want to add to your TBR (to be read) list, or that you just heard about that sounded interesting."

These are the titles I've added to my "new finds" list this week. I think they're all likely to join the several hundred other titles on my TBR list. And they all seem to be in the mystery-suspense category.

Case Histories by Kate Atkinson. From 2004. Atkinson is the author of last year's When Will There Be Good News? which is also on my TBR list. Both books center around private detective and former policeman Jackson Brodie. Case Histories is set in Cambridge and involves three "cold cases" from out of the past. As the review/synopsis at Good Reads says, "In digging into the past Jackson seems to have unwittingly threatened his own future. This wonderfully crafted, intricately plotted novel is heartbreaking, uplifting, full of suspense and often very funny." Sounds like my kind of mystery tale.




Sworn to Silence by Linda Castillo. Due to be published this June, by St. Martin's Minotaur. I first found out about this one through a Shelf Awareness ad. A mystery with an Amish connection, set in a rural town in Ohio, it also involves a crime from the past coming back to affect lives in the present day.






Bleeding Heart Square
by Andrew Taylor. Published last year in Britain. I'm not sure if this one is out yet in the US. I'm supposed to be getting a copy through the Early Reviewers program at LibraryThing. It's a psychological suspense tale set in pre-WWII London; and also centers around (you guessed it) a crime from out of the past.






And finally, The Codex by Douglas Preston. I just finished reading Preston's Blasphemy from last year, and I think I'm hooked. I've known about him and all the best-sellers, of course, but just never paid much attention until now. This one sounds like an especially right-down-my-alley kind of thriller, involving buried treasure, hidden tombs, and an ancient Mayan codex. Sure to keep me up well past my bedtime.

5 comments:

  1. I'd love to read Bleeding Heart Square plus I really like the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am considering doing the early reviewer thing over at Library Thing. Any advice?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Kate Atkinson book sounds very interesting. I've read one by her before. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read any Kate Atkinson yet; do you plan to read *When Will There be Good News* (her more recent book) before or after *Case Histories*?

    Dawn
    She is Too Fond of Books

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have just read my first Douglas Preston book... I'll have to check out Codex. Sounds good!

    http://nanscorner.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.