Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Teaser Tuesdays: Digging the Desert



Teaser Tuesdays
is hosted by MizB at Should Be Reading.
And these are the rules:
  • Grab your current read.
  • Let the book fall open to a random page.
  • Share with us two (2) “teaser” sentences from that page, somewhere between lines 7 and 12.
  • You also need to share the title of the book that you’re getting your “teaser” from … that way people can have some great book recommendations if they like the teaser you’ve given!
  • Please avoid spoilers!

This week, my teasers come from page 167 of Land of Marvels by Barry Unsworth:

From his magnificent palace at Nineveh he could look out at a world that was prostrate at his feet. His storedhouses [sic] were overflowing with booty; his foes were conquered, the rebel chiefs dragged behind his chariot or fastened to his gates with rings through their jaws like dogs.
Ah, it's great to be king!

I should probably point out that the copy I'm reading is a bound galley, so the published version may differ a bit (and, hopefully, the typos and misspellings will be corrected).

3 comments:

  1. Great teaser Joy! I just got this one last week, and look forward to reading it. One of these days I'll have to go find out what the difference is between a galley and an ARC!

    Hope you are enjoying it so far - can't wait to read your review.

    Here's my Teaser! I'm also giving away 15 galley copies of this book via the publisher, so stop by and see if you want to enter! :) ~ Wendi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds interesting. Look forward to the reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good teaser I'll look out for the review.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.