Saturday, March 08, 2008

NBCC Awards

The National Book Critics Circle Awards were announced this week. Winner of the fiction award was The Brief Wondrous Life Of Oscar Wao, by Junot Diaz.

I was sort of pulling for Joyce Carol Oates's The Gravedigger's Daughter, which was one of the finalists. I've skimmed bits of the Oates book and it's on my to-read list for this year (as it was for last year!) – I've enjoyed the parts I've read so far. I've always admired JCO, even though I haven't read as much of her stuff as I'd like to – she's so wonderfully productive!

Other winners:

Autobiography – Brother, I'm Dying, by Edwidge Danticat

Biography – Stanley: The Impossible Life Of Africa's Greatest Explorer, by Tim Jeal

Criticism – The Rest Is Noise: Listening to the Twentieth Century, by Alex Ross

Nonfiction – Medical Apartheid: The Dark History of Medical Experimentation on Black Americans from Colonial Times to the Present, by Harriet Washington

Poetry – Elegy, by Mary Jo Bang

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.